Thursday, November 10, 2011

Guy Fawkes Fireworks

Last Saturday was Guy Fawkes Night. It's definitively a strange holiday to non-English people, celebrating the failure of the Gunpowder Plot with a burning effigy of Señor Fawkes himself. Of course, Guy Fawkes has also mostly become for his mask, as prominently displayed in V for Vendetta. Anyhow, on a day-to-day basis, Guy Fawkes Night means fireworks, bonfire and overall fun.
Fireworks!! (Those things are darn difficult to photograph!)

The event this held was held in South Park, which is a huge swatch of green space not far from where I live. I am ashamed to say that I had never set foot there until last week-end. If I ever want to take up jogging...(hahahaha). It was a rather big production, with a fun fair and a huge crowd. The fireworks themselves were very impressive and the burning of the bonfire(s) --- there was an effigy and a wooden house on a pile of logs, which I assume was to represent the explosives beneath Parliament House --- let off some well-needed warmth among the cold crowd.

The fun fair!

People. Lots and lots and lots of them.

Bonfires. Those were some MASSIVE flames!

The food stalled were sadly mostly sold out by the time I got to them (I was dead set on getting a hot dog and fries, or chips as we say here, but the former was apparently incredibly popular and the latter had to be eaten with wishy-washy mustard and mayo. Hm.) We also skipped the rides afterwards, to my disappointment (carousel! airplanes! inflatable slides!!!), but to be fair, (a) they were mostly aimed at children; and (b) we went for Asian food at Red Star instead, so I can't really complain.

With my fellow Canadians S and K (and my chips, hah). Picture stolen from K's FB.

Yaki Soba at Red Star. Oh (Far) Asian food, how I have missed you!

I learned three important lessons from that evening: 1) wear warm socks when planning on being outside for a few hours; 2) bring your own snacks to events like this; and 3) don't think that you can just walk into a restaurant with a group of 10 people after Bonfire Night, especially when it falls on a Saturday. Make reservations, and that will save you the pain of walking around and waiting for an entire hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment